Tuesday, December 3, 2013

To the Wonder (2012)

You spin me right round baby, right round

Neil and Marina are in love.  Then they're not.  And there's a priest.  And some twirling around.  Like every other Terrance Malick film, this one is gorgeously shot.  It is atmospheric and fluid.  Sadly, it is also tedious and boring.  About halfway into it, I was already wishing it was over.  Don't get me wrong, I am big fan of Terrance Malick and think he is brilliant.  Lots of pointless twirling, an overdose of voice overs, and not much story cause this one to fall way short of Malick's past masterpieces.

I usually don't quote other critics' reviews, but I came across two reviews that sum up the film really well, so I couldn't resist.  Michael Posner called it "a project that veers perilously close to self-parody."  Another review from John Anderson, likened the film it to a perfume commercial. 

Disappointingly, To the Wonder only gets 2 out of 5 Poblanos!


Director:
Writer: Terrance Malick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Start a discussion, leave messages, comments, jokes, whatever!